ponedeljek, 27. maj 2013

9. Cymatics – The Spirit of Matter


Somewhere in the middle of 18th century Ernst Florence Friedrich Chladni (1756-1827) threw  a fist of salt on thin metal plate and rub its edge with a violin bow. He was very surprised when noticed that every tone he got from the metal plate rearanged salt in different pattern. He was so impressed with this discovery that he dedicated a major part of his life to further investigations on field of accoustics. He demonstrated his experiments all over Europe and published his discoveries in a book 'Entdeckungen über die Theorie des Klanges (Discoveries in the Theory of Sound)'. The book was published in 1787 and because of its importance he is today known as the father of accoustics. Chladni proved that the pressure derived from sound waves affects physical matter.

  
In the  sixties in past century, Swiss physician and natural scientist Hans Jenny (1901-1972) rediscovered Chladni's experiments and started with his own research on that field. He used piezo oscillators to vibrate different metal plates and membranes which allowed him to made further discoveries in a field he named cymatics. He derived that name from greek words 'to kyma' – the wave and 'ta kymatika' – matters pertaining to waves.

 
His discoveries were published in two volumes of book 'Cymatics – A Study of Wave Phenomena and Vibration (1967 /1972). Jenny noticed that patterns, created by vibrations, oscilations and rhythmical pulses can be found anywhere in nature. So he was convinced that biological evolution is a result of vibrations. His experiments were also presented in a great short movie 'Cymatics – Bringing Matter To Life With Sound' which can be found here:


I've accidentally see cymatics for the first time in the beginning of 2007 when watching Discovery Channel and in the evening of the same day I've already performed my first experiments with flour from my kitchen and dismantled loudspeaker.
Two years later I managed to prepare first cymatic project Kymatikon. I used cymatics to visualize live concert with The Stroj collective on a big screen in Kinodvor cinema in Ljubljana. It was the first presentation of cymatics in Slovenia and the video is avaliable here:
From 2010 I'm using my own system for cymatic visualization named Kymatikon regularly in different musical projects of my own and I'm still thrilled with results as I was the first time I've seen it.
Here you can see a compilation of my favourite experiments:

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar