sreda, 22. maj 2013

6. Musical therapies on University Rehabilitation Institute

About a year ago I've managed to get  in contact with dr. Hermina Damjan, the Head of University Rehabilitation Institute Soča in Ljubljana. I wrote her about my idea to construct some simple electro mechanical instruments and percussions, adapted to their patients and my wish to collaborate with their institution and patients.

After inceptive meeting with dr. Damjan and her colleagues, they became interested in my proposal so I prepared a presentation for their patients to see if they were interested to join my programme. I decided to use theremin and efektor for the presentation because my experience shows they seem to be the most interesting instruments on presentations like this, when I usually have to break the ice of astonishment and suspicion.


 As you can see they became really enthusiastic about trying them out, so I've got the permission for two workshops per week, one for the children and one for adaults.
In next step I've managed to get some funds from Municipality of Ljubljana to built the instruments. I've built a small replica of efektor, amplified typewriter, simple string instrument in addition with theremin and a drum. I've also used some effects and a looper which allows anyone, no matter how weak his music abilities are, to create exciting soundscapes and improvised compositions where nothing can go wrong because it always happen for the first time. Therapists from the institute agreed that  performing properties of those instruments should have a positive effect on motoric abilities of their patients suffering stroke, traumatic brain injuries and neuromuscular diseases.

And so it all began...

 
I must admit I was a bit nervous before my first session with patients. During preparation of gear I remembered Jack Nicholson from One Flew Over The Cockoo's Nest which gave me a quick releif: I should just be a clever clown, showing them some fun with sound and invite them to participate and form a unique band. Interaction, awareness, response, feeling of power, getting the tune, falling in rhythm, tuning in and creating limitless world of sound in spite of limited abilities, that's all about...and it's all Rock'n'Roll!-)

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar